Skip to Main Content

Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCVP) FAQs

How do you apply for the Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8)?

You can only apply for the Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) when the wait list is open to accept applications. HACR opens its HCV waiting list on an as-needed basis. When HACR determines that the list is to be opened, public notice of the opening will be made on the housing authority's website, in the local newspaper, and through such other media as determined necessary to reach potentially eligible households not otherwise likely to apply.

When will the Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) wait list be opened?

When the wait list is scheduled to open there will be notices on the Housing Authority's website and other publications.


What are the requirements for my unit to be rented to an assisted family?

A. The unit must meet HUD Housing Quality Standards, and the rent must fall within HUD Fair Market Rents and market rate comparable.

Who pays the rent?

A. The tenant pays 30% of his/her monthly income less utilities toward the rent. You collect the tenant's portion of the rent from the tenant. The HACR pays the assistance (difference between the tenant rent and the contracted rent amount) directly to you.
What is the term of the lease contract?

A. After 1 year, the term is open-ended as long as the tenant remains eligible and the unit is maintained to Housing Quality Standards. The tenant may vacate with a 30-day notice after the first year; however, the landlord must have good cause to terminate the lease and evict the tenant.

What do I do when a certificate or voucher holder is interested in my unit?

A. Here are the steps to follow:

  • Step 1: Landlord screens tenants: You must screen the prospective tenant carefully to ensure you are making a good selection. When one of our families contacts you, we can only certify to you their income eligibility for the program.
  • Step 2: Request for tenancy approval: When you have selected a tenant, he/she will have a "Request for Tenancy Approval" for you to complete. When the tenant submits the form to our office with a copy of your proposed leave, an inspector will contact you to schedule an inspection. Please note that the utilities must be on for the inspection.
  • Step 3: Inspection and rent: The unit will be inspected to ensure that it meets HUD Housing and Quality Standards. Required repairs and rent amount will be discussed with you by the inspector.
  • Step 4: Lease and contract: After the unit passes inspection and the rent has been approved, the landlord and tenant enter into a lease. The HACR and the landlord sign a Housing Assistance Payments Contract through which the rent is assisted on behalf of the tenant.

Occupancy (HCVP)

How long will it take to process my application?

A. Your Housing Specialist (HS) generally has up to 90 days to process your application. However, the quicker you give the required documents to your HS, the quicker your application may be processed.

What happens after my application is approved?

A. Once your application has been approved, you will be issued a voucher based on your family composition size. You will then have to search for an apartment/home that fits your voucher size and payment standard.

Recertification Policies & Procedures

Do I need an appointment to see my housing specialist?

A. Yes. If you plan to see your Housing Specialist on days that are not open to the public, you will need to contact your Housing Specialist to set up an appointment. The days that are open to the public when reporting a change in your family composition/income are based on the availability of the Specialist.

Who is my Housing Specialist?

A. Please contact HACR office at 765.966.2687 for more information

What do I bring when I have a change of income?

A. If you have a letter concerning your change of income, bring that letter in with you when you see your Housing Specialist. If you do not have anything in writing to verify the change of income, come in anyway and the Housing Specialist can obtain a written statement from the Employer, Welfare Department, Social Security Office, or whatever agency or company is sending you the income. You will still be required to fill out a change of income form.

What does family income mean? 

A. Family income means any and all income received within the household. Income which is received from the head of household, a spouse, or each family member living in the house who is at least 18 years of age.

Who is responsible to report family income?

A. You are. If the income has changed that either you, your spouse, another adult within your household, or your child who lives with you and is 18 years of age receives, it is the responsibility of the head of household to make sure the person who has the change reports it to their Housing Specialist.

Isn't it enough to report my income just once per year?

A. Definitely not! Whenever there is any kind of change in the income, which is different from what has been reported last, it must be reported in person immediately, not over the phone or by mail.

As long as you report the change in your household within 10 days of the change you will not be in jeopardy of accumulating debt with HACR.

What does over-income mean?

A. If your income exceeds the low-income guidelines, you are considered over-income. The income guidelines at this time are:

  • 1 person: $44,200
  • 2 people: $50,500
  • 3 people: $56,800
  • 4 people: $63,100
  • 5 people: $68,150
  • 6 people: $73,200
  • 7 people: $78,250
  • 8 people: $83,300

What if my income exceeds the limit? Am I removed from the Housing Choice Voucher Program?

A. Not necessarily. If at any time that it is discovered that you are over-income, your HCVP voucher will be held for you to use again within a 6-month period if your income once again falls below the limit. It is up to you to report if this occurs. Meantime, you will be responsible to pay the rent in full directly to the landlord.

But, if during the 6 months, you vacate the unit where you were receiving the HCVP subsidy, your HCVP voucher will be cancelled.

Can I move from my unit at any time?

A. You must ensure that you are not breaking a contract with your current landlord. You are committed to reside in a unit for a minimum of one year. After the 1 year expires, you are free to move under the following conditions:

  • There is no debt owed HACR
  • There is no debt owed to your current landlord
  • There are no program/lease violations that have occurred within the past 6 months
  • You must first attend a rehousing class
  • You must give proper thirty (30) day notice to your landlord and HACR of your intent to move