Skip to Main Content

Public Housing: Frequently Asked Questions

Low Income Public Housing Management (LIPH) FAQs

Q. What is the length of the lease?
A. The initial term of the lease is for 1 year.

Q. Do I have to pay the utilities to my apartment?
A. Depending on the HACR development will determine if you are responsible to pay utilities.

Q. What is the difference between the Conventional Housing Program and the Housing Choice Voucher Program?
A. In the Conventional Housing Program, HACR is your landlord. In the Housing Choice Voucher Program, you pick a private landlord that receives a voucher for a portion of the monthly rent that the tenant is not responsible for paying. This subsidy is paid directly to your landlord every month.

Q. Are pets allowed?
A. Yes. Residents must comply with HACR's pet rules, which include several requirements like a pet deposit and proof of certain vaccinations.

Q. Who is responsible to report family income?
A. You are. If the income has changed that either you, your spouse, another adult within your household or your child who lives with you and is 18 years of age receives, it is the responsibility of the head of household to make sure the person who has the change reports it to their Housing Specialist.

Q. Isn't it enough to report my income just once per year?
A. Definitely not! Whenever there is any kind of change in the income, which is different from what has been reported last, it must be reported in writing person immediately, not over the phone or by mail. As long as you report the change in your household within 10 days of the change you will not be in jeopardy of accumulating a debt with HACR.

Q. What does over-income mean?
A. If your income exceeds the low-income guidelines, you are considered over-income. The income guidelines at this time are:

  • 1 person: $44,200
  • 2 people: $50,500
  • 3 people: $56,800
  • 4 people: $63,100
  • 5 people: $68,150
  • 6 people: $73,200
  • 7 people: $78,250
  • 8 people: $83,300

Q. How long will it take to process my application?
A. Generally takes up to 30 days to process your application.

Q. What happens after my application is approved?
A. Once your application has been approved, you will be notified to view an available apartment.

Q. Who do I contact regarding a past due bill?
A. All questions should first begin with your current or past management office (whichever applies).

Q. Are assistance animals allowed?
A. Yes. Assistance animals are allowed at all developments. Begin your inquiry with your Property Manager.

Q. Who do I contact regarding my current rent statement?
A. All questions should first begin by contacting your Property Manager.

Q. What do I do if I disagree with a maintenance charge to my account?
A. All questions should first begin by contacting your Property Management office. This concern will be addressed through discussing the matter with your Property Manager.

Q. How can I avoid maintenance charges to my account?
A. Avoid unnecessary property damage and plumbing issues caused by toys or non-flushable products. Charges will vary based on case by case, and for more information or questions please call the property manager with questions.

Q. What if someone is making threats at individuals on HACR property or breaking the law?
A. Call the Police. HACR is not law enforcement and cannot prevent individuals from breaking the law. Residents should follow up by putting an incident report in writing with HACR.

Q. What if someone who lives in HACR Public Housing is damaging neighbors' property?
A. Call the Police. HACR is not law enforcement and cannot prevent individuals from breaking the law.